The capacity to meet new people and build your network is unlimited. I have met lots of people at these events by just chatting so if you are on your own don’t let this hold you back. There are many people are in a similar position. We are British start a conversation in the queue for coffee, talk about the weather? It is always a great opener. Ask someone what do they do? Are they enjoying the show? What would they recommend you don’t miss? What was the best thing they have seen. Just general chit chat doesn’t have to be about cameras and film making. I do think we have lost the art of connecting with other humans. That might be the technology that has caused us to do that. Step out of your comfort zone. It is important to remember, other photographers, videographers, drone pilots and film makers are not your competition but your colleagues this applies to amateur and pros. If you are not pro this is even better for you, it could open up a whole new career, learn some exciting skills
As pro’s and hobby photographers we spend hours alone behind cameras and laptops. Attending a show like The photography show and UK video show will be good investment of your time.
Tips for attending the show
- Wear really comfortable footwear.
- Write a list of the talks and masterclasses you want to see.
- write a list of cameras you want to play with and visit the stands.
- If looking for new kit find out what price you would pay before you attend. then you can check you are getting the deal that is right for you.
- keep an eye on the time so you don’t miss the talks as they are short you don’t want to miss anything.
- Don’t forget to eat and drink.
- Carry some snacks.
- Sit down a bit.
- Have a systematic approach in walking up and down the exhibitors that way you won’t miss anything.
- Get orientated so you know where the stages are in the halls.
- Sign up for every competition to win things as you never know someone has to win.
- Do a bit of social media but don’t spend all the time on the phone.
- No business cards, no problem follow each other on social media twitter and Instagram is good for that.
- If you plan to spend money bring your cards, if you don’t want to spend money leave your cards at home!
- DOWNLOAD The Photography / video show app – What a time to be alive!
I have just been planning my days at the show aside from being a speaker I am really looking forward to hearing others speaking.
See you there
The Drone Lass
Follow me on social media Insta and Twitter